Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls
Sundays are the perfect day to wake up to the smell of something delicious baking. Well... for your family to wake up to the smell while you've been laboring in the kitchen to create that magical aroma. Either way, these are AMAZING and the perfect breakfast to be devoured by a hungry family ready to spend the day together!
1 cup warm milk
1 packet yeast
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 tsp salt
4 cups flour
1/3 cup softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup cinnamon
1 tbsp nutmeg
1/3 cup room temperature cream cheese
1/3 cup softened butter
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
3 tsp vanilla
1. Whisk together the milk & yeast and let sit while you get the rest of your ingredients prepared.
2. Melt your butter & allow to cool a few minutes, so it does not scramble your eggs when added.
3. To the milk & yeast add your sugar, melted butter, eggs and salt. Stir together.
4. Add the flour in a few batches, mixing until combined. You should end up with a slightly sticky dough that comes together well.
5. Cover with a towel and put in a warm place to rise until it has doubled. Takes about an hour.
6. Filling: Stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg. Set aside.
7. Icing: Whip cream cheese until smooth. Add butter, whip until comes together. Add half of the powdered sugar, mix on low. Add rest and mix, scrape down sides of bowl and make sure it is all incorporated. Add vanilla. It should be a soft icing that does not hold a shape.
8. Preheat oven to 400. Once dough has doubled in size, roll it out into a large rectangle. Spread softened butter over entire surface with hands. Sprinkle on the brown sugar mixture on and spread it evenly. Roll up sheet of dough, keeping it tight & even. Cut into 1 ½” rolls and place into a greased 9x12” pan. Place in pan leaving them room to grow.
9. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
10.Bake at 400 degrees for 13 minutes. They are done when they just start to show a little color on top.
11.Coat with icing while hot.
12.Eat one before you call your family to breakfast!
Lazy Sunday Morning HACK
Want to get your Sunday Morning Cinnamon Roll game on but also want a lazy Sunday morning?
Follow steps 1-8 then cover the pan of rolls with plastic wrap & put in the fridge overnight. Sunday Morning set them in a warm place to rise, will take about an hour & bake. You can make the icing the day before as well, just keep covered overnight.